Ningdu Children's Welfare Institute

Ningdu Children's Welfare Institute
This is where it all began ...

Monday, January 21, 2008

Who Is Emma Bo? Do You Know?


It was May 27, 2007 when I first noticed this book, tucked amongst the many others in the China section of Bay Books, a popular used book store in Concord, California. It was unusual to find a hard cover copy of "The Lost Daughters of China," a must-read for adoptive parents of Chinese children, authored by Bay Area resident, Karin Evans.

What made for an even more unusual find was the beautiful inscription on the inside page, written in July 2000.

This book was a gift to Emma Bo, an adoptive daughter from China. What is so haunting about this particular "find" is that a very personal message to this woman's daughter was left in a bookstore for more than 8 months.

So, the obvious question to be asked is, "Who is Emma Bo?"

Since May 2007, I have frequented Bay Books no less than 5 times while visiting the area, and on every one of those visits, I have pulled this book from the shelf, hoping to find a "clean" copy, without dog ears, scribbles or highlighting. However, a week ago of that all changed; I purchased this book.

The inscription from mother to her daughter says what any of us would hope to say to our adoptive children. It's the essence of pure beauty and love. I bought this book and have included it with other books on China and adoption that I have built for my own daughter. One day she will come to learn that there are others just like her, and that the love a parent has is both deep and enduring.

I have thought about Emma Bo and her mother for more than 8 months. Why did this special gift find itself on a shelf of a used bookstore? If anyone happens to know Emma Bo's mother, please convey to her that I have retrieved her book and will gladly reunite it with her, if she so desires. She can contact me at ourningdukids@gmail.com.

Thank you!

(Click the picture to enlarge for easy reading of the inscription.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my God ... I can't even begin to describe how I felt after reading what Emma Bo's mother wrote in the book. I cried. This is something that I will think about for a long time. Thank you for sharing.

Kristin said...

Hi, here from APC.

Wow... what a beautiful inscription... it made me teary and I love the name, "Emma Bo"... I hope she turns up!

Anonymous said...

Where is the photo I'm supposed to click on? I don't see one.

K.D. Burkhart said...

Simply run your mouse cursor over the picture that's in the post (cover photo of book and inside cover with inscription), left click and it will open a much larger image that will allow for easier reading!

Anonymous said...

I see no picture in the post, only the link to the book on Amazon. How weird. Oh well, I hope you solve the mystery. Glad to find your blog... will bookmark it.

Anonymous said...

Sorry ... the photo has dropped twice in two days. Just uploaded it again, so I hope this will be the last time the photo in this post drops!